Friday 25 September 2015

Style #3410 - a flowy blouse

Hello lovely folks!

Since deciding to start on a Victorian outfit, my energy and motivation to create has gone through the roof! I am currently working on my corset, and it's good fun :) I might have some progress to show in a few days.

But I did actually sew something in the more gloomy days of late August, there just hasn't been a chance to photograph it before now. This is Style pattern #3410 from 1981. Usually I avoid the 80s like the plague, but this pattern seemed to be something that would work in 2015, too. Besides, it's a bow tie front and I looove those!


Some mean looking ladies!


The fabric is a poly crepe chiffon, and I bought it thinking it was something else. I am terrified of chiffon, and it's shiftyness, so I was rather stunned when I got home and actually read the label! But I said to myself, how will you ever learn if you never try, and so I decided to make a blouse. I went slow, and I was quite pleased that it went so well. It was tedious to cut, as I didn't double the fabric, but luckily the small grid-pattern in the weave helped me keep the grain straight(ish). Besides, being a crepe makes it a bit less slippery.





The pattern is just five pieces, and the construction is very easy. No darts or shaping, and I am glad this fabric is very drapey. A bit stiffer and it would look very boxy. I used french seams everywhere possible, and it is wonderfully clean looking on the insides. The armcyes are not too wide, and there's no sideboob/underwear flashing (yes, I know you can see my undies through it, but nevermind :)





If I do make up this pattern again, I will add some lenght, because with jeans like this it is a little short (or maybe get pants with an actual rise!!!!!!!!), but then again, it is meant for tucking into a skirt. I might throw in some darts, too, for good measure. The fluttery sleeves are fun and really cute, but I am tempted to make another with the mid lenght sleeve option. It is more fall-appropriate. Actually, the arm/shoulder construction on this pattern is really nice, the sleeve piece(s) form a yoke front and back, and looks great in real life. The gathers on front and back is also an elegant touch.





The hardest bit of it all, was the tiny rolled hem on the sleeve edges. Oh man that was fiddly stuff!
I did those by hand, and they came out great, in the end.....yay for small victories!




Best of all, I used three glass buttons from my late Grandmothers button-box. Just to think what these old buttons has seen, and now it is my turn to carry them around. I love them :)




So, I will call this a success. I love wearing this blouse, and it looks super with skirts.
Do you have a favorite blouse pattern? Please share, if you know of a good one. I am trying to ditch the t-shirts...

So long, folks!





10 comments:

  1. Very pretty blouse! I love bow front blouses like this, I just finally drafted my own pattern to make a few for this fall/winter. This pattern is particularly pretty with the detailing around the yolk and sleeves. Though the pattern is from the 80's it seems virtually timeless as a blouse like this never goes out of style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bianca :) I am not surprised you drafted your own pattern, is there not a thing you can't do?? I was really surprised by this pattern, it was way prettier than I had imagined. Love when that happens!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I have to write up a tutorial on tips sewing with chiffon for my challenge this week. It's a scary fabric! You did great sewing it up. I love the bow blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! Well, my top tip would be to cut everything out on a single layer of fabric, and use a brand spanking new needle. Handle the fabric as little as you can during the process, and go slow when stitching. I also found it helpful to up the pressure on the foot/feed dogs and loosen the tension a smidgen. Best of luck in the challenge!

      Delete
  3. This is a great little blouse! I love the shape of the yoke and sleeves and would never have guessed the pattern was from the 80's, Perhaps I should try to see past the unpleasant art on the pattern envelopes of that period, because it looks like there are some real gems there as well. The buttons (and the story attached to it) are wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris :) I am the same way with 80s and 70s patterns, the envelopes makes my stomach turn but sometimes the designs are truly lovely if you get past the initial nausea :D

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about 80's patterns, I also have a few of them and I think I may give them a go now as your blouse has turned out fabulously. I'm glad you got your sewing mojo back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I am glad I'm sewing too! It feels great :D
      I'd love to see you make some 80s patterns!

      Delete
  5. You would not associate 80s with fashion but this blouse is spot on. I agree that the sleeves are fun and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blouse in that fabric ;o) I love most of the style patterns from this era - there are usually a few different views and some of them look dated and some still look quite contemporary, or a bit vintagey, but not too costumey.

    ReplyDelete