Saturday 19 September 2015

I'm taking the plunge!!

I've never been the typical girly girl. I don't wear dresses most days, and I probably spend less time in the bathroom than my better half. I rarely pour over fashion magazines, to get the latest look (obviously). Nor does my closet look like a party.


Phantom of the Opera costume, 2004.
Louisiana Art Museum.


But when I see historical clothing (17th, 18th and 19th century), the frilly, romantically clad, corseted, drowned in bows and lace-monster in me awakens. I just can't help myself. In high school I had art history classes, and they were some of my favorites.


French silk gown 1778-80, MET



So naturally, I've been following along on some excellent costuming blogs the last few years. American Duchess was probably my first, and has been a well of inspiration since. And when you find one, you are sure to bump into more, like The Laced AngelThe Dreamstress, Historical SewingBefore the Automobile, Wearing History and many more. These are some incredible talented ladies, and I think you will appreciate their skills even if you aren't into historical fashion.



Robe a la Francaise 1760-70, MET.


The most obvious hurdle for even starting making such garments, is "where the h*ll do you wear them?" This has been what has kept me from falling down this historical rabbit hole long time ago. And I am sure others have had this very thought, too. There just isn't any occasion to wear a full Victorian outfit around where I live. So how do you justify making something that will mostly hang in the back of your closet? Not to mention the cost and the time consumed on such large projects.


Lovely Lauren of American Duchess
(I am very partial to this style of dress btw)


Well, I haven't been able to answer these questions until now. I've come to the conclusion that I don't need a reason to do it. other than I really want to! And if there aren't any events to wear costumes, well maybe I need to make one happen? There might just be more lone seamstresses sitting around, looking for a reason to "jump in". Also, if you disregard the wearing-bit, there is also the inevitable learning process. it is a unique opportunity to up your sewing- and fitting skills. Just by reading costuming blogs, I've already learnt a lot about construction techniques and also the evolution of clothing and fashion through the ages. And it is very interesting.


Gorgeous Merja of  Before the Automobile
I love fluffy butts, apparently:)


So now, that I have decided to take the plunge, the quest for choosing an era starts :)
I've had the hardest time with this one, as I find I kind of love everything!
But I think I have managed to narrow it down to the late Victorian era (1870-90ish). And I tell myself, this is just where to start. Who knows what other eras I'll eventually end up making?

Making a historical outfit, one has to start at the very foundation, the underpinnings. So be prepared to see some of those on this channel shortly :)




10 comments:

  1. Så lekkert! Venter i spenning på å se mer av dette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with this wonderful new endeavor! It's amazing how many activities can be done as an adventure when you add vintage clothes--I've been ice skating, out to museums, on picnics...I hope you have a grand time wearing your new outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with this wonderful new endeavor! It's amazing how many activities can be done as an adventure when you add vintage clothes--I've been ice skating, out to museums, on picnics...I hope you have a grand time wearing your new outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! I can't wait to see your projects evolve! You'll be amazed, too, at how many events and places you find to wear your costumes, once you start looking. As you mentioned, too, there is always to possibility of throwing your own tea parties. You might be surprised at how many other costumers there are in your area. :-) Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren :) I blame this (partially) on you, you know ;)
      I have actually already found two events in our capitol Oslo, the first one in November and the other (an opera ball!!) in February. Probably both are coming too soon, but I am very excited to get out there and meet people. I think this was meant to be!

      Delete
  5. Awesome! These garments are so gorgeous and take lots of work. I know you will make awesome things :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Well, I sure hope I can live up to the expectations :D

      Delete
  6. Wow! This will be quite a project but it should be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete