Thursday 21 May 2015

While waiting for the sun to shine

Hello springbunnies :)

Spring this year has been unusually chilly, rainy and windy in my part of the woods. May is typically nice and summery, only to turn into a wet and disappointing summer come June. So I take it this is a sign of a lovely warm summer ahead? You are probably not coming here to get the weather forecast, so lets get on with things!

I have been sewing. Oh yes! I finished another version of Simplicity #3688, you know, the fabulous swing trousers. My new ones are forest green, and apart for the slightly scratchy linen fabric, I love them too! When the sun pops out, you'll have the delightful pleasure of me modelling them. Yes, I'm generous like that ;)

On another note, I am all done with the knitting part of the Rainbow jumper!





But I am starting to realize why this is rarely seen when googling it....

Come on. Count the threads. I dare you.


Blaaaaaaaahhhhh.............




Actually I've done that for you. There are 280 ends in total. I need to be in an exceptionally good mood if I am to sit down and weave in all those buggars.

So while I wait (for the sun AND the urge to wrangle wool), I started a new dress!
The pattern is a mailorder one from sometime in the 1940s. The envelope is adressed to a Mrs Martin Lottmann in Owensville, Missouri. The stamp has no date on it. It is a bit mindblowing to think about this little letter ending up in Norway some 70+ years after. What are the odds? I know Mrs Lottmann didn't see that one coming.





And now, I am getting a new sundress :) Isn't it lovely?


Love those sleeves. And the pockets!



I am finally sewing with polkadots, too! I can't believe it has taken me this long, because I love those little things :) Fingers crossed this will turn out good. So far, I've roughly gotten the bodice together and waiting for the lining fabric to dry. Here's a sneak peak for you ;)



Yes, that is leftover fabric from my pink power shirt :)
POW!


So, what excitement have you got going on your sewing table? Do tell!   






15 comments:

  1. That are a lot of threads, while watching a good movie or serie you should be able to do it!

    Can't wait to see the jumper and dress fnished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looking at it, makes me queezy....
      Well, it has to be done and I am sure it'll be worth it in the end :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, that is a lot of threads! This jumper is on my to do list as well, I'm considering steeking as a solution to the thread problems. Haven't done it before, but from what I can tell from reading about it the hardest part would be gathering the courage to cut into the knitting. We'll see if I can mount the courage :) Lovely choice of colours! Can't wait to see you model it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about knitting in the round too, but you'll still have threads on the inside up to the armhole (if you don't just steak it and stitch the whole side, of course). Steaking is utterly terrifying, and I never fully trust my seams not to unravel :) and yet, I have never had that happen. I suppose steaking the whole thing would be a smart way to do it.Now, why didn't I think of that???

      Delete
  3. I love that dress pattern! Buttons are cute, looking forward to seeing both projects ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was instant love! I am anxious to get them finished :)

      Delete
  4. Wow you have been busy! Our spring has been colder too. Can't wait to see the dress, it looks like a great pattern. And the colors on the knitting are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm on a roll now :D Hope things are heating up soon!

      Delete
  5. Your sweater in lovely, the colors you chose are beautiful. I am sure when you are done with it you will be happy with it.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes! I think you're quite right ;)

      Delete
  6. Good grief! That's a lot of ends to sew in! The jumper looks lovely though, and it will definately be worth the time it takes. Also, I LOVE the dress pattern. Good luck with finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is actually a very simple solution to prevent all those loose ends! Wrap the yarn around each other at the beginning end/or end of the row. Then you don't have to cut it. I think it should still be doable with 4 different colors without being too bulky :) Of course that doesn't help you now though :') Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renée, I actually tried this, but there was just too much bulk at the side :( There are five different colors, so just to much to twist together. I have now fastened all the ends, and it wasn't that bad. A couple episodes of Foyles War took care of that :)

      Delete
  8. Ah good old Foyles War! I was thinking the same as Renee, as I used that method for my Victory jumper, carried them up the side. With five colours though, it would be too bulky. Can't wait to see you wearing it!

    ReplyDelete