Friday 8 May 2015

A day for remembrance

Today marks the 70th anniversary of Victory and Peace in Europe.


Oslo, May 8th, 1945.
source


Today is Liberation Day in Norway, and I want to just take a moment to honour all those people who made sacrifices and participated in the war effort many years ago. Not only in Norway, but all nation involved, suppressing evil forces at play.



Stavanger, May 8th 1945.
source


I can never begin to imagine what people went through in those days, not just the brave men and boys fighting for peace. But all the women at home, the children, the elder. All the hardships, and the heartbreaks. All the fear and unsecurity.


source


Yet, people managed to keep on going, make the best of things. I am in awe over these people, and I feel gratitude and respect. I really do have it all, I have nothing to complain about. I have everything I need, and more. My problems seems minute, and just plain silly when thinking about the bigger picture. I hope you too, will spend a minute to reflect over this, and be happy about your freedom. I realize that these blogposts are international, and that all countries aren't at peace at this moment in time. My thoughts also includes those people, and just illustrates my point. I am happy to be free.



source


Today, I have spent my day listening to actual wartime radio broadcasts. Half hours filled with joyous music ment to lift spirits. I have also watched some documentaries, about both the  five years of occupation and the liberation of my country. I was also able to see live footage from the darkest times when my own little hometown was bombed to pieces. By our own allies, by mistake. I remember having older people telling about this when I was little in elementary school. War is absolutely horrid, and I prey I never will have to feel it, see it, live it. Ever.



Paris, May 1945
source






4 comments:

  1. Great post. I just read Unbroken, about Louis Zamperini, a WW2 prisoner of war. It does make one feel so grateful for freedom! I feel that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea but enjoyed reading about this special day for your country. I love learning history. And I agree, war is no fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for taking the time to remind us all that we need to be grateful for our freedom and all that we have. I too heard about the horrid war experienced by my European parents and I also hope never to have to go through what they had to endure.
    Thank you again.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post (learning something new everyday!) and gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete