Tuesday 22 November 2016

From field to shawl

A few weeks ago, I had just bought myself some lush alpaca fibre, that I intended to use just for me :) I got the fibre from a local farmer, that breeds high quality alpacas for sale, so his fibre was a by product for him. He was very glad someone would use the fibre, and I was thrilled because this is really high quality!

I had spun a couple of skeins of lace weight 2-ply yarn, and posted them on Instagram because I was kind of proud of them! And I was immediately approach by a person, requesting a knit shawl in that very alpaca yarn.





I'm not good at un-selfish knitting, so when the request came I thought it was a perfect opportunity to to practise said skill.
The customer chose her pattern off Ravelry, "Positive thoughts #1" by yellowcosmo, a beautiful lace shawl in two sizes. So off I went.




The shawl looks a bit complex, but really is quite simple to do. I spent five evenings on it, The first half went really fast because the rows are not that long, but the second half is a bit slower. I added extra repeats of the flowery bit to make it larger.

After blocking it was just shy of two meters wide, and around 1 meter long across, from top to point.




I was so happy with it, that I promptly cast on another one in white angora (rabbit) yarn. I need one for myself!! I also went straight back to the farmer and bought two more fleeces....ooopsie.





5 comments:

  1. beautiful, and amazing that you made it all (alpacas are so cute and soft ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, alpacas are lovely, but are best looking when their coats are midway to a shearing length :D Newly shorn they look like freaks, and with a full coat they look like they're on steroids!

      Delete
  2. Excellent job, I love your shawl. It's very satisfying to take a project from fleece to wearable garment! I like spinning alpaca, but angora is too fuzzy, gets everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! Yes it is satisfying making something fro scratch. But I do admit sending this one off was NOT in the least satisfying!

      Delete
  3. Wowsers! It's absolutely gorgeous, and that is some speedy knitting.

    ReplyDelete