Tuesday 24 September 2013

Chin-up!!

For the last couple of weeks  I have been so discouraged.
My energy-levels has been through the floor-boards, and my personal life has thrown some curve-balls that I really was not up for (not to worry, I am fine!).

I hoped to get some sewing done in between work and chores, but it has really not been much to brag about.. The deadline for the FFC is in just a few days, and my dress is nowhere near being finished. And the work I have been able to do, really isn't up to my standard.

But instead of letting all this drag me down, I have tried to seek inspiration from other talented seamstresses online. It is so good to read about others beginning struggles, and stories of projects that really turned out beautifully, despite looking hopeless during the process.

Being creative is just as much about being able to solve "problems" as it is evolving one's skills. Being creative is also a process of trial and error, making mistakes and learning from them. People handle this journey a bit differently. I have a tendency to be somewhat impatient with myself, and really need to cut me some slack :)

My Happy Sewing Place is one of my favorite blogs. Debi is such a talented woman, and just the mere smile on her face is enough to get me up from the dumps :) Browsing her blog, I found this amazing post, so perfectly relevant to my "current state".


Reading this was just so immensely helpful, I instantly felt better!
I am now going to fight my way through with that dang dress!!
And to Ira Glass, who wrote this genius "poster" in the first place; I salute you :)



8 comments:

  1. I love it! I think it's a great reminder whenever we hit road blocks or sewing ruts, to persevere on. I hope you get some sewing in, so you can finish your FFC dress! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am determent to get the dress done now, it really should be no problem at this point. All the fiddly bits are done... I guess I am slightly bored with it, and want to get started on something else :) Plan is get it finished, photographed and blog by the 30th!
      Wish me luck :D

      Delete
  2. After reading this I realized that I am at that "point" in my life, both personally and professionally. I am going to print this and pin it to my wall, let it become my mantra! And then kick myself in the behind and get my FFC challenge completed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awesome when you stumble upon "words of truth" like these? Things suddenly makes more sense, you know?

      Print and pin is a good idea ;) I would too, If I had any space anywhere for a poster!

      Delete
  3. What a poignant, uplifting reminder - not just for crafting, but life in general. Few things come to us exceptionally easily from the get go, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth it. In fact, I'd argue that the more you have to work, the more something will often reward you in the end.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you deeply for your touchingly lovely comment on my "We're home" post today. I like to think that my MIL was with us in spirit, too. She never got a chance to travel beyond Italy in her life, and I think she would have adored seeing the Canadian prairies and the big, bustling city that is Calgary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really does apply to any aspect of life, doesn't it? :) And good things are worth extra effort!

      PS: Remember, immortality lies in the memories of others ;)

      Delete
  4. I just wanted to say thank you for your words of encouragement and fitting suggestions while I was in a funk over my dress. With your kind words I was able to finish my project and the fitting of the garment is much better. You were one of the inspirations to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes me sooooooo happy!!! Thank you for the feedback, glad I could be of any help :)

    ReplyDelete